Saturday, September 10, 2011

Stew Delicious to Be True

Hearty and satisfying Kielbasa Stew....perfect dish for fall.  I actually make this all year...we're kinda big fans of this stuff...... but it tasted extra good on this chilly September evening.  This would also make a great crock-pot recipe.  I love kielbasa (always pronounced kabasie when I was growing up, until I realized that unless the person I was talking to was directly related to me, they had no idea what I was talking about) and I'm always on the lookout for new kielbasa recipes.


 Kielbasa and Cabbage Stew


This bowl of stew is screaming for  a dollop of sour cream.

You will need:

2 lbs kielbasa sliced into thin rounds....I have made this recipe with turkey, chicken, beef and reindeer kielbasa...all we're equally delicious.

2 Tbsp. olive oil

3 cloves finely chopped garlic

1/2 lg onion, diced

1 medium head cabbage cut in half, cored, each half cut in thirds then cut in 1/4 inch slices

1 16 oz container beef stock ( or chicken, or veggie....I prefer the beef )

1 green pepper, diced

1 29 oz can tomato sauce

1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes ( I like the fire roasted)

1 1/2 cups water

1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar

Several dashes of Franks Red Hot ( when I say several, I mean like 30)

Pinch of cayenne pepper

Fresh cracked pepper to taste

1/2 cup sour cream


Heat large pot over medium high heat.  Add olive oil, kielbasa, onions, peppers and garlic.  Cook until onions and peppers begin to soften..  Add cabbage and cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add rest of ingredients besides sour cream.  Reduce heat and simmer till cabbage is tender.  Stir in sour cream right before serving.

2 comments:

  1. I am making this in a couple of days. So I was at the groc and the kabasie were only 1.99...SOLD. I bought all of them so we may be having this next week as well. I let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, delicious, fantastic, amazing, and cant wait to eat more manana!

    ReplyDelete