Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor of Love Day

My house needs more cow bell.  I don't own a cow bell, but I'm gonna get one.  IF I had a cow bell I would've used it bright and early yesterday morning..  I would've marched past closed bedroom doors in my ratty robe and crazy bed hair clanging on my cow bell like my life depended on it.  Alas, I have no cow bell and just quietly knocked instead, waking everyone up on that cold, windy, rainy Labor Day to go pick veggies with me at our local U-Pick farm.  The kids weren't that thrilled about the idea until I MAY have suggested that J (our teenager) could drive us there and that we MIGHT POSSIBLY stop at DQ on our way home ( E, our 11 yr olds favorite).  Merrily on our way we went.  There were only two "who farted?" fights on the way and just a few under breath grumblings about why we had to listen to NPR and not a "good" radio station, but all in all  a very nice ride to the farm ( I'm gonna leave out the couple hair-raising driving moments of J's, I don't wanna hurt his new little driver feelings.)  We came home with five bags of assorted fresh tasties....zucchini, squash, lettuce, peas, cabbage and carrots... along with three runny noses (small price to pay for deliciousness). As I greedily surveyed the array of gorgeous produce scattered across my kitchen, I started to form a plan......

Grilled Balsamic Chicken and Zucchini Sandwiches on 
French Bread with Crispy Oven Potato Wedges

 I made my own french bread...will post on that recipe later....super easy.

Hate this photo, but by the time I realized how crappy my photos had turned out..dinner was just a memory.



You will need:  

4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cloves chopped garlic
1/4 Cup olive oil
3/4 Cup balsamic vinegar
2 loaves crusty French bread cut in half lenthwise
3-4 med zucchini sliced 1/4 inch thick lengthwise
1/2 cup pesto (can add a little mayo for a creamier consistency)
3 tomatoes sliced sandwich style
8 slices provolone cheese 


Throw first four ingredients in gallon Ziploc bag, smarsh around a bit and toss in fridge.  I'd marinate at least an hour.

Fire up the grill...grill chicken till done.  Set aside. Brush each side of zucchini with olive oil and s&p.  Grill till tender.  Thinly slice chicken on the bias.

Sandwich assembly:  On bottom half layer; chicken slices, grilled zucchini, tomato slices and provolone cheese.  Broil for a few minutes till cheese is bubbly.  Slather pesto or pesto mayo mix on top half .  Put top and bottom together and cut HUGE slices for everyone.  Or tiny slices, whichever you prefer.  

For Crispy Oven Potato Wedges: (cut as many thick potato wedges as ye like (keep the skin on) and throw in a bowl with canola oil, s&p, onion powder,  few dashes of paprika  and chopped garlic, toss on a greased baking sheet SKIN SIDE DOWN and bake at 425 for about 40ish mins) dipped in a last minute throw together yummy sauce of 1 cup sour cream, 2 tsp onion powder (finely chopped onion would be fab too), 2 tsp garlic salt, 2 tbsp dried parsley flakes and a few tablespoons of BACON bits.   


Note:  I actually marinated and grilled a family pack of chicken breasts last night.  The chicken is doing double duty as....not sure what yet.....for tonight.


3 comments: